Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Best Foot Forward




It's time again...I hate to have to buy a new pair of gym shoes! There is nothing to compare with the comfort of a pair of old walking shoes. You know the ones---they conform to your foot and support you in all the right places from toe to heel. You slide your foot in and cinch up the laces and your foot says, "aahhh" as you take to the hills and flats. It seems like you don't get much time with that 'just right' feeling. It's only a few months and you look down and they are worn out and don't look as great anymore. You've washed the heck out of them, the tread has worn, the heels are uneven and the insides are crappy. It's time to cast them aside and get a new pair to break in. well, 'new' hurts. I have to start the whole blister-to-callus routine all over again. They just don't make shoes like they used to. I used to be able to get a comfortable pair off the shelf and wear them with no problem. I don't know why my feet take so much time to adjust to new shoes. I already want my old pair back! I get a little melancholy thinking about the miles spent together and it's hard to throw them out. Most of the time they spend a season being yard and garden shoes before they get tossed in the dumpster for good.
Although there are similarities, thank goodness FRIENDS don't wear like old shoes. Old friends always remain comfortable with time. They might slow down, but they never completely wear out. They are with you in all of life's hills and flats-the trials and laughter. When you're with good friends you always want to put your best foot forward and be your best self. Activites and outings with old friends lift you up like the arch in your shoe, but you just don't get much time in this busy life... Your conversations always feel 'just right' and nothing compares to their support. I hope I don't sound like a heel because new friends are good, too. It just takes a little time to get broken in to a new style of walk and talk. But, I'm hoping to keep my old friends around forever. After time, they might look a little worn and lumpy, but 'aahhh' what a blessing to my sole-er, I mean 'soul'.
(We loved our Spring Break Trip to Moab this year with our good old friends and some new ones. Cherished Times and Great Memories!)

1 comment:

Layne & Ilene said...

Jenni, you are amazing. Thanks for letting us spend a few days having fun with you and Jeff in the sun. Spring Break was definitely a great break and these pictures are an awesome reminder of our good times.